Friday, August 21, 2009

10 Days at Wellesely Island

August 5th - August 16th was spent on campsite D20 at Wellesely Island State Park!! This is one of the best events of the summer that I always look forward to! This was the first year I was actually able to go for the whole time because we went before my school started. Here is a list of the people who went before I get started rattling off stories! My cousin Katie, my little sister Kelsey, our friend Lori and her three kids Sarah (11), Ryan (9), Leah (2), Lori's sisters Karyn, Lisa, and Kim. Karyn and her husband Brandon and their kids Teagan (3) and Colten (8 months). Lisa and her husband Joe and their kids Anthony (11), Christian (9), Jacob (6), Jackson (3), Sam (1 month) and Kim and her son Colin (11).



On the 5th Kelsey and I loaded up my car with all of our things and headed to Katie's house where she filled her car and we grabbed the two dogs (Loki and Oscar) and headed for camp!! Everyone else would meet us there in the morning. After a 2 hour drive we finally made it to the place I love to go each summer!



After we made it to camp we quickly set up before dark. Just after going to the bathroom and getting the rest of camp set up we went into the tent right as it started to pour outside!! The next day before the rest of our friends arrived I went for a small bike ride in preperation for the Livestrong Challenge. Then, just in time, I got back as everyone showed up to camp. We helped everyone set up and my parents came up to camp to visit for the first weekend! All day we just lounged around the campsite and enjoyed each others company.

That night as we were sitting around the campfire we heard the bushes start to russel. Crawling out from the dark was our friend Peppy La Pew!! He was just a baby and I think he was more scared of us then we were of him. I fed him marshmellows all week!



On Saturday my cousin and I went to get the boat we rented for the week bright and early at 7am. My mom tagged along to see if she could get a boat for the weekend. Score! They actually had extra boats available!! After lunch my parents went out on their boat and Katie, Kelsey, and I went out on our boat. Our friends were out there tubing and my mom decided she wanted to go! So Kelsey and my mom hopped off the boats into the water and got onto the tubes! It was hilarious! They were bouncing around and flying through the air!! It lasted a while and then my mom got launched off the tube!!! Game over!


After the boat rides and dinner we started our nightly dodgeball game!! We played girls vs. boys!! Girls won the first game!! YAY!! Girls rule. The kids were very intense with the game! It was so much fun. We announced that it was going to be the last game and the kids were all excited with their game faces on. The adults were playing too and one of the dad's threw a ball at me. I took my stance as I got ready to catch the ball. BAM! It hit me in the chest and I flew up and landed on my hip... but I held on to that ball. The dad was OUT!!



The next day was a bum day. I went out for a bike ride to keep my legs moving. It wasn't sunny but it didn't look like rain. Off and on all day it rained. Most of the day was spent in the tent. The rain stopped just in time for dinner and dodgeball!!

The next day was better. We had a crappy start but then the sun came out! We went for a boat ride and enjoyed the sun. It was so hot that we all decided to go swimming off the clifs on our site. I was to nervous to jump because last year I fell off the clif and split my hand open. So, I just grabbed my floaty chair and floated around in the water. I could have stayed out there all day because it felt so nice!!

After dinner it began to rain again so we all read magazines in the tents. Just in time for a fire, the rain stopped and we roasted marshmellows and made smores!!



The following day I decided to go on another bike ride and then a boat ride. We decided to turn the boat around because across the water we could tell it was raining. Thinking the clouds were moving East we didn't think the rain would actually hit our camp but we decided to get on land incase it did come. Sure enough, a torental downpour hit us. I mean it was bad. Our site did not have a lot of grass on it. The only way I can explain how it looked was if someone was taking gallons and gallons of chocolate milk and was pouring down into our campsite. I didn't think the rain was going to pour that bad or that long so I stayed in the screen tent reading my Glamour magazine. Sure enough the rain started coming into the screen tent and I was stuck! Katie yelled to me from the tent that Jacob was missing!! In a panic to help I rain out into the pouring rain up to Lisa and Joe's site. We found out that Lisa really said Jackson was miss and Katie and I both knew he was in Lori's tent. So we ran through the pouring rain for nothing!! Since my car was close and unlocked I jumped into my car to sit out the storm. Dinner time was rolling around and they had already started to cook dinner. Katie called me from my car and told me to come out and grab a plate with meat, pasta, and vegetables on it and bring it into the tent. We all ate inside the tent off the same plate!!! It was crazy and funny!!! Sure enough, shortly after dinner, the rain stopped and we had a nice fire that night!!



On the 7th day of camp it was absolutely beautiful!! The sun was shining and it was warm. Katie, Kelsey, Ryan, and I decided to go over to the campstore to get gas for the boat and grab ice. Katie bought us each and ice cream to enjoy because it was so hott out!! Pour Ryan dropped the whole top of his on the way back to the boat!! As soon as we got back we went swimming and then we went for a boat ride to check out the cool Inn across the water. And it was a great night for a dodgeball night!! Followed by a swim to cool down!!! A perfect day at camp!


The next day I had to drive Kelsey home to get her retainers because she had just gotten her braces off. On the way home I got lost!! When I got off the exit to get to Oswego there was a sign that said Oswego 16 straight. So I continuted start to a light where I saw a sign I thought said Oswego 14 -->. This sign was angled in an odd way that is was for the traffic coming from the east but could be read from traffic coming from the south. So needless to say I turned right at that sign and ended up in Sandy Creek!! I stopped at a gas station and asked for directions and made it home. I did laundry while my mom took Kelsey to the orthodontist. After, we headed back up to camp just in time for dinner and dodgeball!! Then we ended the night with pudgy pies! They are the best. You take pudgy pie makers and put in bread and pie filling!! I had apple! It was awesome!!



The next day I ventured out for a 22 mile bike ride around the island. It was awesome. After my shower I went swimming with my aunt and uncle (Katie's parents). Then I went kayaking with Jacob. He showed me his cool hangout he has with his stepbrothers. He was so excited I got to kayak with him.
That nights dodgeball game was awesome. Katie, Kelsey, and I had brought water ballons to sabatage the kids! I had an idea that we should fill them up and then nail them at the dodgeball game. Kelsey and I filled up the water ballons. For the last game of dodgeball we decided it would be kids vs. adults. All the adults went over to the car and each grabbed water ballons and hid them. We got to the starting line and said Ready Set Go!! We nailed all the kids with dodgeballs. They were so shocked!! It was hilarious. Adults 1, Kids 0. A fun night!!
The next day was the last full day and night there! It started out cloudy but Katie, Kelsey, and I decided to go on a boat ride to Alex Bay. I didn't know we were going to A-bay so I didn't put on any sunscreen because it was 10:30 am and I figured we would be out only for 30 minutes. We came back at 1:00. My back and shoulders were so sunburned I could feel the heat radiating off of me. I guess my back was trying to catch up for the sunburn I got in Ohio!!
The last night was spent playing dodgeball and roasting giant marshmellows. The trip was great and the 10 days went by so fast! I look forward to it every summer and I can't wait to do it again in 2010!!!
Here are some pictures from the trip!

(Christian fishing off the clif.)

(Leah eating on the cooler.)


(Jackson eating on the cooler too!)


(Our campsite.)

(Our youngest camper at 1 month old, Sam.)
(Oscar couldn't sit on the dirty ground so he sat in Leah's chair.)
(Leah love's to hold Sam.)
(The story behind this chipmunk: The red thing is a knife. Katie, Kelsey and I had peanut butter and jelly for lunch. The peanut butter knife was sitting in our dirty dishes bin in the screen tent. Katie and I heard a russel noise coming from the screen tent. The chipmunk was in the bin, grabbed the knife, and rain. He cleaned the knife spotless of peanut butter!!!)






(A dead crayfish maybe? Well it's dead so I figured all you guys would like the picture!!)















(Home Sweet Home)

No comments:

Post a Comment